Saturday, December 6, 2008

4 Days till my SARPE

Thursday night I got my RPE put in and it sucks just as badley as I imagined it would. I am a little over 48 hours with it in and it has only got slightly better. I have gotten a little bit better at swallowing, but other than that not much improvement. I detest speaking because I hate how I sound. Eating is not even worth the effort. I had to reheat a bowl of soup five times before I was finished with it last night. And the lovely sounds I make, the slurping and clicking ( I really hope that goes away). I guess I am done venting now...
I do have to admit that I am looking foreward to surgery on Wednesday for two reasons.
1. The sooner I start, the sooner I finish
2. I really need a break, an excuse to lay down and just relax, if only for a week.
These last few weeks have been the hardest of my life, and except for still grieving the loss of a family member and friend, everything else goes on hold for a week after my surgery. No school, finals will be over, no work, no dr appt, or ortho appts,time with my daughter, an excuse not to be doing 1001 things and not feel guilty about it.
So wednesday morning I check into the hospital at 8:45 and my surgery is at 10:45. I have no idea if I will be out of the hospital the same day or the next. Hopefully the surgery will go smoothly and my time with the expander will be short, altho I doubt it. My OS says he plans on me expanding about a 1/2 inch (12 to 13 mm) That is a freaking huge gap! It would be really nice if I could lock myself in my house till spring when I have passed the expansion part of this orthognathic journey I am on. I just try to keep reminding my self that this will all be worth it in the end!

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

One step down. It sounds like it really sucks with that thing in there. I hope it gets easier to bear with in a hurry...it WILL get easier. (It'll still feel SOOO good on that day when it gets to come out :) )

Best of luck to you an Wenesday, and hope you get the rest that you're needing. I've caught myself sharing similar sentiments with my hubbby; that I can't wait for surgery so there's no excuse to do anything but focus on what I need, everybody and everything else be darned! Why do we heap so much guilt upon our selves to be super-beings? Hope life can slow down for you a bit even beyond your week recovering at home...guilt and busyness are WAY over rated *hug*

Unknown said...

Thank you! And yes the RPE is already getting easier to deal with, tho it is still an evil torture device. I have not yet ate a hot meal. It takes me so long to eat I have to reheat it up to five times in the course of one small meal...LOL
And you are right, I have no idea why we feel we must be productive every second of the day. It is crazy, we would not expect that of anyone but ourselves. But that is life and I don't see it changing so I will do my best to enjoy my week off before I have to head back to work, school, dr appts, errands, and having too little time with my daughter and for myself....
Thank you for your support I really appreciate it :)

Katherine (Kate) said...

Just poppin' in to wish you all the best with your recovery...you'll be well on your way now :)

Take care!